It’s been hard to keep up with things the last couple of days. Two days ago, terrible storms came through and have taken out power at our house. Trees are down throughout the neighborhood and we are dealing with the clean up. I should be back to posting my journal by next week.
Amazingly enough, I’ve managed to stay on track with the 30 day challenge! I had some hummus yesterday, without realizing it was a banned food. Otherwise everything has been fine. I’m down to my lowest weight yet. The last several days I’ve come in at 156.4 or so. This morning was 155.4. Nice!
Unfortunately, throughout all of this I’ve had a head and upper chest cold. I haven’t been able to make it to the gym. I should be good to get back to the gym and totally back on track on Monday.
Exercise: Today is a rest day. I will be doing about an hour of drumming this evening.
- Breakfast: 1 scoop of Wheybolic (20 grams of protein), green smoothie (apple, blood orange, spinach, dandelion), coffee. Handful of raw cashews, Emergen-C (sore throat)
- Lunch: Coconut water, roasted asparagus and carrots, 8 medium shrimp
- Afternoon: Lemon tea (herbal), green tea, about 3 oz of chicken, 3/4 cup of squash, 1 medium avocado.
- Dinner: salad with balsamic vinaigrette (home made), grass-fed top round beef.
Kind of feeling tired today, but I believe most of it is due to a sore throat. I was up part of the night due to it hurting. Warm liquids are helping. I’m not positive if the throat is due to allergies or possibly injury from wrestling yesterday. Either way, and especially since tomorrow is going to be a long day, I am going to skip Muay Thai in the morning and opt for just doing Thursday night conditioning and Muay Thai (if my throat is OK).
Tomorrow night, I will be attending the first BOSS meetup. It is the evolution of the Ruby and Python groups here in town. It is going to be held at Isotope 11, which I am interested in finding out more about. They do Rails development. Given that I enjoy Django development so much, I’ve decided to take a look at Rails and check it out. Ruby looks a little cryptic to me at the moment, but it should be clearer with a little study.
I find that I am terrible at keeping up with a blog. Normally, the ebb and flow of the day tends to take me away from making the time to sit and write a little. I’ll try to do better.
Today I start 30 days of trying out the Paleo Diet. My focus is around information given by Robb Wolf, in the book: The Paleo Solution. While I have lost a TON of weight in the last year (I sure wish I had blogged about it more!), I still face some issues with digestion, specifically reflux. Additionally, several fighters have switched to this kind of diet to assist with being lean and having better weight to power ratio. It is worth 30 days at the very least! I understand the first 30 days can be a little tough, typically with some energy and performance loss. However, after 30 days, I should be seeing some good gains. Because of this, I want to keep a journal of what I am eating and doing from an exercise perspective, so I can better get a grasp if all this works as intended. So, here we go!
Exercise: I started the day with Wrestling practice. 20 minutes of light conditioning (ab roller, ball on the wall sprawls, take downs ). 30 minutes of take down drills. 30 minutes of rolling. Training was from 5:30am to 7am. Energy levels were pretty high, however rolling makes me pretty tired. I was drained by the end of it.
Later in the evening I had 2 hours of drum practice.
- Breakfast: 11 oz of coconut water on the way to the gym. 30 grams of protein from 1 1/2 scoops of Wheybolic Extreme on the way home to shower. 3 boiled eggs at the office, only 1 yolk. 20 oz of black coffee.
- Lunch: 6 oz of chicken, 7 medium shrimp. Carrots and asparagus. medium sized apple.
- Afternoon: 12 oz of coffee. Can of tuna.
- Dinner: Spinach salad with rotisserie chicken, an olive oil and vinegar dressing. A hand full of raw cashews.
I started feeling hungry about 1:30. This is pretty normal since I tend to eat about every 3 hours. Second lunch about then. Water intake was pretty relaxed, about a gallon plus.